The Clean Energy Promise
Our purpose is to bring energy to life by delivering energy to our customers’ homes and businesses, safely and securely. It’s what we do. But how we do it is just as important to us. We want to operate in an environmentally sustainable way because we know that’s the right thing to do–for society, the environment and our business.
We're focusing on the areas in which we can make the greatest contribution to a more sustainable future:
- Climate change due to greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- A growing global population putting unprecedented pressure on non-renewable resources, and changing lifestyles leading to rising energy demand.
- The depletion of natural environmental resources, habitats and ecosystems
All these issues bring new drivers for change in our business. Through our environmental sustainability strategy, we’re working to respond to these, minimize risk and continue to deliver the service our customers rely on.
National Grid’s Climate Commitment
- 100% by 2020 We will reuse or recycle all of our recovered assets.
- 50 sites by 2020 We will be recognise and enhance the value of our natural assets on at least 50 of our sites.
- 80% by 2050 We will make an 80% reduction in our Greenhouse Gas emissions (from a 1990 baseline).